Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Form follows Function, or Function follows Form

[try saying that 10x straight]
I've been a little busy lately and have not had the time to write anything or follow up with my solicitations for guest bloggers. Hopefully I will have lots of stories written by the people directly involved, soon! I promise.

But- just a quick story I wanted to share.
Curt and I had the chance to visit a pilot site this Monday and heard about some pretty awesome stuff happening there. They have a new PD unit up and running for about 3 or so months now and the unit has been making tremendous progress. So when we got to visit the unit, Curt and I were especially excited since we don't really get to "hang out" with the hospital staff, we only hear stories about them and what they're doing. The unit manager, Gene, shared with us some really great stories and the one of how the unit became involved was especially interesting.

Gene has been involved in the project since day one[ 9 or 10months ago] but only as a sideline participant. But once she began hearing stories from the other units she was slowly getting excited about getting her unit on board as well. Although she has been sharing what she had heard and learned with her unit, it is a huge unit and she was worried about the workload and the reaction of her staff. So one day, during one of her regular staff meetings, she talked about bringing the unit on board and how best to start and her concerns and how they can go about getting ready to start. Then one of the staff, a LPN, casually mentioned "What's wrong with now?" And that was it; they started that day.

I know, I know, my narrative is not giving the story due justice. I might be ruining it but this story totally makes me jump out of my seat so I thought I share it here.
Why I think it is so cool? In my experience, whenever I am embarking on something new, I'm usually worrying too much about getting myself prepared to start. Like- getting ready so that I can be ready to start something. Essentially, its fussing over form and function; so really "what's wrong with now?"

I am trying to get the nurse manager to write something for the blog, but if you are familiar with healthcare at all, she has a million and one things still left unchecked on her to-do list.

No comments: